Elementor Pro vs Squarespace: Which Website Builder is Best For You?
Whilst they both let you build websites, they are also very different in how they work.
Elementor Pro is best for anybody who wants to build a website using WordPress and have access to an enormous range of themes and plugins.
Since Elementor Pro is a WordPress plugin, it offers you the most flexibility. However you also need to setup your domain name and web hosting for your WordPress site.
Squarespace is best for those who need an all-in-one solution that includes web hosting, a website builder, a domain name plus multiple themes to choose from.
Want to see how Elementor Pro and Squarespace scored in a back-to-back comparison? Check out the comparison table below:
Elementor Pro vs Squarespace Comparison Table
|Ease of use|
|Extensions & Plugins|
|Best for who?|
|Website (link opens in new tab)|
Elementor Pro is better for those who are comfortable with setting up and customizing a WordPress site.
On the other hand, Squarespace is best for anyone who finds WordPress, web hosting and domain name management too difficult or time consuming.
For a detailed look into which platform platform is right for you, read our detailed Elementor Pro vs Squarespace comparison.
- 1. Overview & Features (setup, how it works etc.)
- 2. Ease of use: Which is more user friendly?
- 3. Design & Styles: Which is better for customization?
- 4. eCommerce: Can you sell online?
- 5. SEO: Which will rank better?
- 6. Blog: Blogging features compared
- 7. Support: Customer support and help compared
- 8. Extensions & Plugins: Which has better plugins
- 9. Pricing: Value for Money Compared
- 10. Summary: Elementor Pro vs Squarespace
1. Overview & Features (setup, how it works etc.)
Whilst comparing Elementor Pro and Squarespace, the first thing we will look at is how each website builder works.
What is Elementor Pro? How does Elementor Pro Work?
Even though Elementor Pro is often referred to as a website builder, it is actually a page builder plugin that lets you customize and create new pages on your WordPress site.
Of course this means you need to have your own web hosting plan with WordPress installed and we’ll look at this process under Elementor Setup.
Once installed you can create pages from scratch using Elementor’s drag and drop design system. Elementor works with any theme and Elementor Pro comes with free template kits you can use.
When creating or editing a page, you have a live preview/visual builder on the right and the Elementor panel on the left. This enables you to create and edit a page whilst viewing it in real time.
The Elementor panel contains all the widgets/modules you can use to customize your page. You can drag and drop the elements you need or click on a section to customize it.
The Elementor widgets you can use include headlines, images, videos, share buttons, testimonials and more. They even have a page where you can view all of the Elementor widgets.
Elementor also lets you view how your website would look on a mobile, tablet and desktop.
Elementor Pro Features:
- Drag & Drop Editor – Drag and drop widgets to customize a page.
- 300+ Designer Made Templates – Over 300 hand made templates to fit different industries.
- 90+ Widgets – Over 90 widgets to create any type of content you need.
- Responsive Editing – Switch to mobile view and make adjustments so your site is responsive on all devices.
- Popup Builder – Create your own popups and adjust targeting options.
- Theme Builder & Full Site Editing – Edit your whole site, including the header and footer without using any code.
- WooCommerce Builder – Design WooCommerce product and shop pages without code.
- Revision History – Progress is saved and you can easily re-trace your steps.
- Copy & Paste Styles – Copy and paste the style of a widget, column or section for faster customization.
- Global Widgets – Save your favourite widget settings and reuse it on any page by dragging and dropping it.
- Dark Mode – Design in dark mode to save power or reduce strain on your eyes.
- Background Videos – Add videos to your sections.
- Motion Effects – Add interactions and animations to your site using Scrolling Effects and Mouse Effects.
- Icons Library – Browse through thousands of icons to use or upload your own.
- SVG Icons – Create and customize icons in any size.
- Custom Fonts – Add your own custom and Typekit fonts and use them with Elementor.
- Google Fonts – Choose from hundreds of Google fonts to use.
Elementor Pro Benefits:
- No coding knowledge needed
- Full site customization
- Compatible with most WordPress themes
- Wide range of pre-built templates and widgets to help you build a professional website
- Easy customization with revision history and copy & paste styles
Elementor Pro Setup
To use Elementor Pro you need to do the following things:
- Buy a domain name – I recommend buying your domain from Namecheap, you can then transfer your domain to your web host using these easy instructions.
- Setup web hosting – I recommend Kinsta (starts from $30 a month) for a powerful, managed hosting plan but if you’re on a tight budget you can use SiteGround (from $5 a month) or Bluehost (from around $3 a month).
- Install WordPress – Install WordPress on your hosting account, make sure it’s installed under your domain name. If you’re using Kinsta it’s very easy. If you’re using Siteground or Bluehost you can do so through the CPanel.
Once WordPress has been installed, you just need to purchase and download Elementor Pro (from $49 per year) and install it on your WordPress site.
To install Elementor on WordPress, go to Plugins -> Add New on the left side WordPress admin menu. On the next page click Upload Plugin and click the Choose File button. Select the Elementor Pro Plugin and click Install Now.
Wait for Elementor Pro to finish installing and then you’re ready to start to customizing your site.
What is Squarespace? How does Squarespace Work?
Squarespace is a website building platform that makes it easy to create your own professional website. Squarespace also hosts your website for you and lets you buy a domain name directly on the platform.
This makes Squarespace a good choice for people who are not familiar with web hosting and domain name management.
To create a new site with Squarespace you first need to choose a template. You can preview each template and see how it looks on desktop, tablet and mobile view.
Once you have chosen a template you can start customizing your site, some templates will take you through a quick start guide that asks you to name your site and walks you through the basic features.
Squarespace is similiar to Elementor when it comes to customizing pages. You get to edit your page in real time with a live preview on the right and theme options on the left.
Some templates can be customized by hovering over a section and clicking the Edit button which shows up in a grey box. With the other templates you have to left the theme menu on the left side to customize your site.
- Mobile Responsive Templates – All templates are mobile responsive.
- Social Links – Add social icons and links to your pages.
- Template Switching – You can switch templates at any time.
- Announcement Bar – Add an announcement bar with a custom message to the top of your site.
- Amazon Block – Use Amazon Blocks to display and link to an item on Amazon.
- ChowNow Integration – Use ChowNow to enable customers to order food from your site (USA & Canada only).
- Code Block & Code Injection – Add custom code and scripts to your site.
- Commerce – Turn your Squarespace site into an online store, sell products online and manage orders.
- Donation Block – Collect donations from visitors to your site.
- Facebook Pixel – Add a Facebook pixel to your site.
- Popups – Create promotional popups that appear when visitors land on your site.
- Zapier Integration – Connect forms, newsletters and cover pages to over 1,000 apps using Zapier.
- OpenTable Block – Add restaurant reservations and bookings to your site via OpenTable.
- Squarespace is an all-in-one solution so you don’t need to buy web hosting or a domain name separately
- You have a guide to help you get started with basic customizations
- Setup is quick and seamless
- Beautiful website templates
- You can restore deleted posts and pages for up to 30 days
To get started you just go to Squarespace and click on “Get Started”. You’ll then have a questionnaire you can fill out or skip. Next you need to choose a template.
After choosing a template, you will be asked to create an account, you can also continue using your Google account or your email address.
Once you have made an account, Squarespace will automatically place you on a 14 day free trial (no card required).
2. Ease of use: Which is more user friendly?
Elementor Pro Ease of Use
As mentioned earlier, Elementor Pro is a page building plugin for WordPress, so once you have Elementor Pro installed you just need to edit or create a new age.
To create a new page with Elementor, you just need to go to Pages -> Add New, straight away you will see an option to “Edit with Elementor”.
An alternative way is go to Dashboard and click “Create New Page” under Elementor Overview.
After clicking this button you’ll be able to edit your WordPress page using the Elementor page builder. You’ll see a live preview on the left and the Elementor widgets on the right.
This is how the Elementor page builder works:
- Every page is built using sections, you can add as many sections as you want to a page
- Each section can be split into columns and you can add a maximum of 10 columns for every Elementor section
- Each column can contain multiple Elementor widgets
- Each Elementor widget can styled differently
You also have the following options on the left side of the Elementor builder:
- Settings button (the little cog icon).
- Revision history button (the little clock icon).
- Responsive views button, you can view how your page looks like on desktop, tablet and mobile.
- Preview changes button (the little eye icon).
- Publish button, this creates or updates your page using your new customizations.
You can start editing your WordPress page in two ways:
You can edit a blank page by clicking on a section or dragging an Elementor widget onto an empty section.
You can also load one of Elementors many pre-built templates and edit that instead.
To add an Elementor template to a page, follow the below steps:
- You can add an Elementor template to a page by clicking on the grey folder button on the live preview screen. As you hover over the button you will see “Add Template”.
- This will bring up the Elementor Template Library, to preview a template hover over it and click the magnifying glass icon
- To add the Elementor template to your page, click the INSERT button
- You can also use the search bar to look for a template based on a theme like “agency”, “about” or “travel”.
- You can also save your favourite Elementor templates by clicking the floppy disk icon in the top right corner.
- If you want to upload a .json or .zip file, click the circle icon in the top right corner:
To start editing an blank page or Elementor template, click on a section or drag a widget onto it. You can also add columns to a section to create a more dynamic look for your site.
You can drag Elementor widgets from the sidebar and drop them into these new columns, you can also rearrange sections and columns by dragging and dropping too.
You can edit, adjust and style Elementor sections, columns and widgets too. To do this, just click on the element you want to edit and the settings will appear on the left sidebar.
The Elementor page builder is easy to learn and once you get a firm grasp on how to use it, editing pages becomes a breeze. Overall Elementor is an easy and intuitive page builder to use.
Squarespace Ease of Use
Squarespace is a section-based drag-and-drop website builder with a live preview on the right and design options on the left. Squarespace also has a built-in “assistant” to guide with multiple step instructions.
Squarespace also provides a clear, modern and simple user interface to work with. You can easily edit or create new sections in a few clicks, by using the left side design menu.
I highly recommend following Squarespace’s built-in assistant to familiarize yourself with the platform, it’s uses a checklist based system to guide you through it’s features, and it will greatly reduce the learning curve for new users.
Similar to Elementor, Squarespace uses a What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) editor. This is a website building system where you can make changes to your website whilst previewing it live. You can make your changes in real time, and the way your website looks in the preview is how it will look like when it is published.
One feature about Squarespace that really stands out is the fact that you can edit your website using your phone. Squarespace has an app for iOS and Android devices that lets you make changes to your website whilst on the go.
All changes are saved automatically so even if you lose internet connection, your work is still safe. The Squarespace mobile app can be very useful for people who use mobile devices as a personal computer or who like to manage their sites at any time with ease.
However despite it’s great features, Squarespace has a deeper learning curve than Elementor. They do have a built-in assistant to help you get started but it can still take you longer to get used to it’s editor.
3. Design & Styles: Which is better for customization?
Elementor Pro Design & Styles
Elementor Pro allows you to create impressive and professional websites without using any code. Elementor Pro includes over pre-built 300 templates that you can customize.
Elementor’s theme library contains templates for all types of essential and common website pages. You’ll find templates for about pages, contact pages, homepages, landing pages, portfolio pages and more.
These templates cover many different niches like photography, travel sites, magazines, gyms and many more.
Elementor also releases a new template kit every month, these are templates for a complete website, covering all the essential pages within that niche. You can use new template kits aswell as template kits from the previous months.
To use an Elementor Pro template you just need to import a template page (for example “Real Estate – Home”) onto a blank page. Once the template page is imported you can then customize it to your liking.
Another great thing about Elementor Pro is that fact that you can mix and match different templates onto a single website. This is becuase when you import a template, you are importing the template onto a single page.
This means for example you can use real estate “homepage” template for your home page and then use a travel templates “about us” page for your “about” page. This can be very useful if you like elements or styles from different templates.
Squarespace Design & Styles
When you start building a website with Squarespace, you have to choose a theme to get started. Whilst you have to start off with a theme you can use it’s built-in theme customizer to create a truly unique website.
Squarespace contains over 100 professionally designed themes you can use to customize your site. The Squarespace’s theme library separates each theme into different niches including restaurants, events, real estate, blogs and many more.
Squarespace’s templates are highly customizable, you can edit, add and remove sections, replace images, change fonts and more. If you don’t like the template you chose you can easily switch over to a different one.
However unlike Elementor Pro, you cannot combine different templates with Squarespace, since each template applys to the entire website instead of individual pages.
Verdict: Elementor Pro
I’ll give the edge to Elementor Pro since they have a wider range of templates (300+) and the fact that you can use a different template style for every page instead of using one style for the whole website.
4. eCommerce: Can you sell online?
Elementor Pro eCommerce features
Since Elementor Pro is a page builder, is does not have a built in eCommerce feature, instead Elementor Pro is fully compatible with WooCommerce.
WooCommerce is a free WordPress plugin that converts your WordPress site into an online store. This allows you to sell products, accept payments, set shipping rates and more. You can also sell subscriptions and memberships with the use of premium extensions.
WooCommerce features include:
- Sell physical and digital products
- Stripe and PayPal for accepting payments (using free WooCommerce extensions)
- Set shipping rates and add different shipping options including pickup.
- Calculate tax rates automatically
- Multiple currencies (using premium WooCommerce extensions)
- Create membership and subscription sites (using premium WooCommerce extensions)
- Gift cards (using premium WooCommerce extensions)
- Take online bookings and appointments (using premium WooCommerce extensions)
To learn more about WooCommerce you can read the following guide (link opens in new tab):
Elementor Pro can be used to customize your WooCommerce shop, product and archive pages with the Elementor WooCommerce Builder.
By default WooCommerce product pages and archive pages (shop page, category pages etc.) cannot be edited without using code. Elementor’s WooCommerce Builder lets you edit these pages visually using Elementor.
This makes Elementor Pro the first page builder to enable the customization of WooCommerce product and archive pages.
To summarize this section, Elementor Pro does not include any built-in eCommerce features. Instead, Elementor supports the powerful eCommerce capabilities of WooCommerce, and allows you to fully customize your shop pages.
If you are running a simple online store you can everything you need with WooCommerce and it’s free extensions. If you are creating a membership site, taking online bookings or you want to use multiple currencies, then you will need to buy premium WooCommerce extensions to do this.
Squarespace eCommerce features
Squarespace has it’s own built-in eCommerce features when you choose the Business Plan ($15 per month), Basic Commerce Plan ($20 per month) or Advanced Commerce Plan ($30 per month).
You can find out more about Squarespace’s eCommerce features here: Squarespace eCommerce Website Builder.
Squarespace’s eCommerce features include:
- Sell unlimited products
- Sell services & take appointments
- Accept donations
- Gift cards
- Sell through Instagram – (Basic Commerce Plan)
- Account creation for customers – (Basic Commerce Plan)
- eCommerce analytics – (Basic Commerce Plan)
- Abandoned cart recovery – (Advanced Commerce Plan)
- Sell subscriptions – (Advanced Commerce Plan)
- Third Party API Integrations – (Advanced Commerce Plan)
- Calculate shipping rates in real time – (Advanced Commerce Plan)
You can learn more about the different Squarespace plans here: Squarespace Pricing Plans.
The eCommerce features is where Squarespace really shines since it offers a lot more features than WooCommerce without the need for additional extensions or plugins.
For example, you can sell subscriptions, take online bookings and sell gift cards. If you want to use any of these features with WooCommerce, you need to buy premium extensions.
Squarespace also lets you fully customize all of your shop pages, to match the design of your brand.
Verdict: Tie – with a slight edge towards Squarespace (best for simplicity and included features).
This section is a draw between the two page builders. Elementor Pro works with WooCommerce and lets you customize your shop pages. However you will need to install extensions (free or paid) to get the features that you need for your online store.
For example, every online store built with WooCommerce will need the free Stripe, PayPal or Braintree extensions to accept card payments. Integrating Stripe and Braintree payments, whilst simple, could still be seem intimidating to users who are not tech savvy.
This furthers proves the point that Elementor and WordPress are for users who are comfortable with doing a bit of setup and technical work.
On the other hand Squarespace includes many eCommerce features straight out of the box, without the need for any extensions or integrations. Sqaurespace’s Business Plan ($15 per month) covers everything you need for an online store, from payment processing to gift cards and accepting donations.
Squarespace’s Basic Commerce Plan ($20 per month) adds customer accounts, point of sale, lets customers checkout using your own domain, eCommerce analytics and lets you synce your products with your Instagram posts.
Squarespace’s Advanced Commerce Plan ($30 per month) lets you sell subscriptions, adds abandoned cart recovery, custom API integration and automatic discounts that apply to certain orders once set conditions have been met.
I’m tempted to give this section to Squarespace entirely, but if you are confident with WordPress and don’t mind installing additional WooCommerce extensions, you can easily built a great store with Elementor + WooCommerce.
So which page builder is better for eCommerce? Squarespace or Elementor?:
If you want an all-in-one website solution with rich eCommerce features, then choose Squarespace and one of it’s business plans – Business ($15), Basic Commerce ($20) or Advanced Commerce ($30).
For a very simple store, the Squarespace business plan is fine. If you need analytics, want to sell via Instagram or you want your customers to checkout through your own domain name, then Sqaurespace’s Basic Commerce Plan ($20) is better.
If you want an all-in-one, rich and full featured online store ,or you want to sell subscriptions, then Squarespace’s Advanced Commerce Plan ($30) is the one to choose.
If you are comfortable with WordPress and want access to thousands of plugins, then choose Elementor Pro (from $49 per year).
You can host your site with Kinsta (from $30 per month) and easily install WordPress and WooCommerce during setup. Once your site is live, you can install any additional extensions or plugins you may need.
5. SEO: Which will rank better?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) helps you websites to appear in the search results of all the different search engines, making it easier for people to find your site. In this section we’ll compare the SEO features of Elementor Pro and Squarespace.
Elementor Pro SEO features
Since Elementor Pro is a page builder plugin, it does not include any built-in SEO features. However all Elementor templates and widgets are mobile optimized. You can also switch to a mobile view to see how your site looks like on mobile devices, and make adjustments where needed.
This is important since Google gives priority to mobile optimized websites.
Despite including any SEO features, Elementor Pro integrates with a free WordPress SEO plugin called Rank Math. Rank Math comes with a setup wizard to help you get your SEO features setup.
Rank Math also includes the following features:
- Rank Math integrates with Google Search Console, allowing you to see which keywords are driving traffic to your site, any indexing issues and the status of your sitemap.
- SEO analysis tool to help you audit your website with 40 SEO assessment factors. You’ll be able to assess and adjust your website in real time with actionable advice from this analysis tool.
- Automatically adds ALT and TITLE attributes to all of your images, helping your site to appear in image searches.
- XML sitemaps to help search engines find and index your site pages, you can also choose which content to include or remove from your sitemap.
- Rank Math includes Schema Markup which provides additional information to search engines. This helps your content show up in rich search results with image snippet, text descriptions, and more.
- Meta data such as page descriptions and Article Schema which allows search engines to understand your content better. This increases the chance of your pages appearing as “Top Stories” on Google with feature image cards.
- Product schema which can display product information in search results, such as product name, description, inventory levels and other product details.
- Events schema which can display detailed event information in search results, allowing potential visitors to see information such as the performers, event type, performance times, locations and more.
- Video schema which can enable your video content to show up in search results as video snippets, giving potential visitors a better preview of any video content you upload.
- Meta cards for Twitter and Open Graph for Facebook. This enables your social media posts to appear as clickable feature images or videos when shared, instead of just appearing as a text link.
- Edit your titles and descriptions in bulk.
Rank Math boasts over 68 powerful SEO features, it also has it’s own Elementor integration, allowing the two plugins to work together seamlessly. If you are building a WordPress site, Elementor Pro + Rank Math is a great choice for SEO.
Squarespace SEO features
Squarespace boasts a rich and varied catalogue of SEO features, which include the following:
Squarespace automatically generates a sitemap.xml for your site, which lists every page and image metadata on your site. Sitemaps make it easier for search engines to index pages on your website, allowing your pages to appear in searches faster.
All Squarespace domains include free SSL Certificates when connected to Squarespace sites. SSL certificates are important for encrypting online communications and websites without an SSL may be penalized in search engine results.
Clean HTML markup
Sqaurespace creates pages with clean HTML markup that is easily indexed by search engines. For example when you add headings to your pages, Squarespace automatically creates header tags (<h1> and <h2> for example), helping search engines like Google to understand the structural hierarchy of your pages.
Squarespace includes alt tags and title tags for your images, improving the ability for search engines to index these images correctly. To create alt text (alternative text) for you images, just add a description and Squarespace converts the image description into an alt tag.
Squarespace also generates meta tags for pages and link tags for RSS feeds automatically.
If you have multiple domains for your site, Squarespace will automatically direct users and search engines to a primary domain (chosen by you), so you don’t lose any traffic.
Meta Descriptions (SEO Descriptions)
Squarespace lets you add meta descriptions (search descriptions), these are short pieces of text which describe the content of your site or a certain webpage. These descriptions could also appear under your page title in search results.
Accelerated Mobile Pages
Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) creates lightweight versions of your webpages to help them load faster on mobile devices. Accelerated Mobile Pages were originally created by Google and are more likely to appear as “Top Stories” on Google with feature images and text excerpts.
Rich image search results for Google
If you have any products for sale on your site, visitors will be able to see additional information in rich search results. Rich search results are website snippets which can include the product name, product image, description, price and availability.
Built-in mobile optimization
Since over 50% of online traffic comes from mobile devices, Google gives more priority to mobile optimized websites. All Squarespace websites are mobile optimized as long as you don’t manually disable your mobile style.
Built-in meta tags
Squarespace automatically adds meta tags to your site to help search engines identify your sites titles, descriptions, the type of images you have on your site and more.
Search Keywords Analytics
Squarespace has a Search Keywords panel that you can use to see which search drives are driving traffic to your site from search engines like Google, Firefox, Bing and more. When you know which keywords are driving traffic to your site, you can focus on creating more content around those keywords to bring in even more traffic.
If you refer an all-in-one website builder, then Squarespace has your needs covered with it’s built-in SEO features.
Again this boils down to whether you want an all-in-one website solution or a WordPress based site.
Elementor Pro integrates well with the Rank Math SEO plguin for WordPress, giving you access to powerful SEO features, plus WordPress already has some SEO features built-in.
On top of this, both website builders are mobile optimized, giving your site priority over non-mobile optimized sites.
Squarespace has an impressive amount of powerful and essential SEO features built-in and all templates are mobile optimized by default. The only real difference between the two page builders here is whether you prefer WordPress or an all-in-one solution.
If you want to use WordPress to build your site, then choose Elementor Pro and install the free Rank Math plugin for WordPress.
If you want all of your SEO features packed into your website builder, then choose Squarespace.
6. Blog: Blogging features compared
After comparing the SEO capabilities of Elementor Pro and Squarespace, it is only right that we look at their blogging capabilities next.
Elementor Pro Blogging features
Elementor Pro allows you to customize your blog posts and blog archive pages. Blog posts are the actual articles that you write on your blog. The blog archive page is a collection of all the blog posts you have written, allowing visitors to browse through all of your blog content.
Since Elementor Pro is a page builder plugin for WordPress, most of it’s blogging features focus on customizing the look of your blog posts and the blog archive page. Most of your actual blogging features will come from WordPress itself and any additional plugins you choose to use.
WordPress by itself gives you all the blogging features you need (WordPress is blogging software after all), and for this reason we’ll only focus on cuztomizing your blog pages with Elementor Pro.
Customize blog posts with Elementor Pro
You can Elementor’s content widgets to add different designs or styles to your blog post:
- Text – Style the look of your Headings and Body Text, change the font, color and more.
- Image – Add images anywhere in your blog posts.
- Google Maps – Show the location of an area on Google Maps, great for travel bloggers and local businesses.
- Buttons – Add buttons to your blog post, these can be more eye catchy than text links for Calls To Action (CTA’s).
- Pricing Table – Add a pricing table to your blog posts, great for comparisons and reviews.
- Progress Bar – Add animated progress bars to your blog posts. Great for roadmaps and upcoming products or services you are working on.
- Testimonial – Add customer testimonials to your blog posts if writing about a product you sell or your are promoting.
- Image Gallery – Add an image gallery to your blog posts.
- SoundCloud – Embed audio clips into your blog posts from SoundCloud using Elementor’s SoundCloud widget. Great for podcast transcripts and interview blog posts.
So if you plan on changing your page builder or uninstalling it in the future, be cautious when deciding to edit blog posts. However with Elementor, you do not lose any content, just any designs or styles added by the plugin.
Customize Blog archive pages with Elementor Pro
A lot of themes use a default style for blog archive pages and since you cannot customize these pages you are stuck with that style. Elementor Pro allows you create your own blog archives page using the Posts widget.
To create your own, custom blog archive page with Elementor Pro, simply create a new page, name it “Blog” or another suitable name, then style your page how you see fit. Next decide where you want your blog posts to be displayed, then drag the Posts widget to that section of your page.
You can decide how many posts you want to show per page, and how many columns you want to display. You can also choose to display posts from a certain category or multiple categories.
Squarespace Blogging features
Since Squarespace is an all-in-one website builder, you will find all the blogging features you need. Squarespace’s blogging features include:
- Create blog posts
- Create a blog page (blog archive page)
- Choose post thumbnails (featured images)
- Add tags to your posts
- Add categories to your post
- Enable or disable comments
- Social images (clickable images that appear when sharing the link on social media)
- Schedule blog posts
- Add SEO titles and descriptions
As you can see Squarespace includes all the essential blogging features you need, and it is very similar to WordPress’s default blogging features.
Styling your Squarespace blog
Squarespace allows you to style your blog archive page (blog page) by choosing from 5 different blog page layouts:
- Side by Side Blog – Post thumbnails are displayed beside the post titles.
- Single Column Blog – Post thumbnails are displayed above the post titles.
- Masonry Blog – Blog posts are displayed in a masonry grid layout.
- Basic Grid Blog – Blog posts are displayed in a grid layout.
- Alternating Side by Side Blog – Post thumbnails display on alternating sides of the post titles.
Elementor Pro being a WordPress plugin, takes advantage of all the blogging features available on the platform. When compared side-by-side, WordPress and Squarespace have the same default blogging features.
The main difference between the two is that Elementor allows you to use Elementor widgets in your blog posts, allowing for more customizability.
If you are not familiar with WordPress or want to use an all-in-one website builder for your blog, choose Squarespace.
7. Support: Customer support and help compared
In this section we’ll compare the customer support options for Elementor Pro and Squarespace.
Elementor Pro Customer Support
If you are not sure where to begin with Elementor Pro, or if you get stuck whilst building your website, you have a wide range of support options. Elementor Pro’s customer support options are very simple and fast to access.
Elementor Pro’s support options include:
- Live Chat – Elementor has a live chat feature that you can access from any page with a fast response rate.
- Email – You can email Elementor through their contact page if you have any questions.
- Pro Support – Elementor Pro users get 24/7 priority support.
- FAQ – Elementor has an FAQ section which answers the most commonly asked questions regarding their page builder plugin.
- Tutorials – Elementor has a wide range of setup guides, video tutorials and tutorial blog posts to help you get familiar with the software.
- Knowledge Base – Elementor has an extensive Knowledge Base which includes over 465 articles, covering topics from installation to customization, tips and troubleshooting.
- Facebook Community – Elementor has it’s own Facebook community where you can speak with other Elementor users.
Overall you should have no problems finding help whilst using Elementor Pro.
Squarespace Customer Support
If you get stuck whilst using Squarespace or you encounter any problems, finding help should not be an issue. Squarespace has multiple support options and guides to help you with any issues you come across.
Squarespace’s support options include:
- Live Chat – If you have a Squarespace account you can log in and use the live chat feature to speak with the Squarespace support team.
- Email – 24/7 email support is available for Squarespace account holders.
- Support Assistant Chat Bot – Whilst browsing the Squarespace Help Center, you can speak with their Support Assistant Bot which will give you automated answers to the most commonly encountered problems.
- Twitter Support – You contact Squarespace support on Twitter.
- Help Guides (Knowledge Base) – Squarespace as a Knowledge Base with a wide range of documentation covering all of the features of Squarespace, as well as tutorials on how to use the platform.
- Tutorials – Squarespace’s Help Center includes written guides and video tutorials to help you get familiar with the platform.
- Webinars – Squarespace has free webinars to help you understand and use the platform.
- Squarespace Forum – Squarespace has a support forum where you can speak with other Squarespace users, as well as post and answer questions.
Overall you should have no problems getting support with Squarespace.
Both website builders have a wide range support channels, helping you to get help with any issue you come across. You should not have trouble with any platform when it comes to customer support.
If you prefer using WordPress for your website then go with Elementor Pro.
If you want to use a self-hosted website builder then go with Squarespace.
8. Extensions & Plugins: Which has better plugins
Whilst a website builder might have everything you need to build and customize your dream website, you might want additional features not included in the default platform.
In this section we’ll look at the kind of extensions and add-ons supported by Elementor Pro and Sqaurespace.
Elementor Pro Extensions and Plugins
Elementor Pro is compatible with third party add-ons to help you get more out of your website builder. Whilst you can search the web and find all kinds of Elementor add-ons, they have listed 16 add-ons on their site as the most valuble.
Below is a list showing 10 of the 16 add-ons recommended by Elementor Pro:
- Envato Elements – Gives you access to free, handcrafted templates built especially for Elementor.
- The Plus Add-Ons – Includes 80+ additional creative widgets and 18+ templates for Elementor.
- Dynamic.ooo – Designer toolkit that includes 60+ widgets, 24 extensions, 13 templates and 4 page settings.
- HT Mega – Includes 80+ additional Elementor widgets and 360+ Elementor blocks.
- Essential Add-Ons – Includes 70+ creative elements for Elementor.
- Ultimate Add-Ons – Includes 50+ Elementor widgets, 100+ templates and 200+ blocks.
- Power Pack – Includes over 70+ Elementor widgets and 150+ professionally designed templates.
- Unlimited Elements – Includes over 300+ Elementor widgets, and lets you make your own with their widget creator..
- Prime Slider – Adds 20+ design slider widgets for Elementor.
- WunderWP – Includes free Elementor widget styles and templates.
Since Elementor Pro is a WordPress plugin, it can already integrate with many of WordPress’s plugins too. This is why most Elementor add-ons are focused more on adding new widgets, templates and styles.
You can see the full list of recommended Elementor Add-ons here: Get The Best Elementor Addons
Squarespace Extensions and Plugins
Squarespace is also compatible with many third party extensions. You can find many Squarespace extensions if you search online, however Squarespace themselves have officially endorsed 22 of these extensions on their site.
Below is a list showing 10 of the 22 add-ons recommended by Squarespace:
- Aftership – Lets you add your own branded order tracking pages.
- QuickBooks Online by OneSaas – Automates you accounting with QuickBooks online.
- Delighted – Automated post-purchase feedback customer surveys.
- Shopping Feed – Sell your Squarespace products on Amazon, Ebay, Etsy and Google Actions.
- Printful – Sell Print-on-Demand products or dropship through your Squarespace store.
- ShipBob – Integrate an eCommerce fulfilment warehouse (3PL) and fulfilment software with your Squarespace store.
- TaxJar – Automated sales tax filing and reporting.
- TradeGecko – Automated orders and operations platform for wholesale and multi-channel sellers.
- Returns Center – Returns management portal that makes it easy for you to manage customer returns.
- Order Desk – Automated eCommerce order management with over 250+ integrations.
Squarespace extensions are focused more on accounting, eCommerce and online order management. These extensions can help you to build a powerful online business through Squarespace.
Both Elementor Pro and Squaresapce boast many powerful extensions to help you build your dream website.
Elementor Pro add-ons focus more creative designs plus additional widgets and blocks.
On the other hand Squarespace extensions are geared towards business with extensions for order management, taxes, customer surveys and external eCommerce integrations.
You can’t go wrong with either option, again it all comes down to whether you want to use WordPress, set up web hosting and email or use an all-in-one solution instead.
If you want hundreds of design add-ons and don’t mind setting WordPress, web hosting, domains and email, then choose Elementor Pro.
If you want an all-in-one website builder and want access to eCommerce and online business focused extensions, then choose Squarespace.
9. Pricing: Value for Money Compared
In this section well compare the pricing plans of Elementor Pro and Squarespace.
Elementor Pro Pricing
- Free – $0
Elementor comes with a free plan that can be used on an unlimited amount of sites.
The Free Elementor plan includes the drag-and-drop page builder, responsive editing, 40+ basic widgets and 30+ basic templates.
- Personal – $49 per year
Elementor’s first paid plan is the $49 per year “Personal” plan which is limited to one website.
The Personal Elementor plan includes 50+ Elementor Pro widgets, 300+ Elementor Pro templates, 10+ full website kits, Elementor’s Theme Builder, WooCommerce Builder and Popup Builder.
Elementor’s Personal plan also includes 1 year of customer support and updates.
Once your plan has finished, you can continue using Elementor on the site you installed it on, however you won’t be able to get updates or premium support until you renew your plan.
- Plus – $99 per year
The next Elementor Pro plan is the $99 per year “Plus” plan which can be used on up to 3 different sites.
The Elementor Pro Plus plan includes all of the features from the Free and Personal plan, the only difference is that you can use it on up to 3 websites.
- Expert- $199 per year
The last Elementor Pro plan is the “Expert” plan, which can be used on up to 1,000 sites.
The Elementor Pro “Expert” plan includes all of the features from the previous plans, the only difference is you that you can install Elementor on up to 1,000 websites.
Since this plan allows you to install Elementor on up to 1,000 websites, this plan is best for people who want to create and customize as many websites as they want. It’s also good for web designers and web design agencies.
Elementor Pro Pricing Summary:
Elementor Pro offers very affordable prices for their page builder, starting from free for Elementor and only $49 per year for Elementor Pro’s Personal Plan.
Elementor Pro plans are billed annually, so you will need to renew the plan every year to continue receiving updates and premium support.
The best Elementor plan to choose depends on how many websites you want to work on. If you want to create only one site, I recommend Elementor’s Personal Plan ($49 per year) since it includes all of Elementor’s Premium features that you’ll need for your site.
If you plan on using Elementor Pro for more than one website then the Plus Plan ($99 per year) is a better choice.
If you want to use Elementor on as many sites as you want with no limits, then the Expert Plan ($199 per year) is the perfect choice for you. In fact for many of you, this will be a great choice due to the almost unrestricted number of websites you can build.
You see a full rundown of Elementor’s pricing plans here: Get Elementor Pro | Pricing & Plans.
- Personal – $10 per month
Squarespace’s “Personal” plan includes a free custom domain, unlimited traffic, SEO features, all website templates, 24/7 customer support, 2 users (contributors), and Squarespace extensions
- Business – $15 per month
Squarespace’s “Business” plan includes all features from the “Personal” plan, plus email setup with G Suite, site analytics, premium blocks and integration, $100 Free Google Adwords Credits, and eCommerce features with 3% transaction fees.
- Basic Commerce – $20 per month
Squarespace’s “Basic Commerce” plan includes all features from the previous plans. Squarespace’s Basic Commerce plan also reduces the eCommerce transaction fees to 0%.
It also includes additional eCommerce features such as customer account creation, eCommerce analytics, tagging products on Instagram posts, and you can sell in person using their Commerce app if you live in the USA.
- Advanced Commerce – $30 per month
Squarespace’s “Advanced Commerce” plan includes all the features from previous plans plus the ability to sell subscriptions, abandoned cart recovery, real time shipping calculations, custom eCommerce integrations and more.
Squarespace Pricing Summary:
Squarespace offers affordable pricing for anyone trying to build their own website. The best Squarespace plan will depend on the type of website you are trying to build.
If you plan on building a small, personal website with no eCommerce features, then the Personal plan is for you.
If you want to sell on your website, want access to Squarespace extensions, professional email from Google, the Business plan from Squarespace is the right choice. For most people this will be the best choice.
If you want zero transaction fees and additional eCommerce features, such as customer account creation, eCommerce analytics, point of sale and Instagram product tagging, the Basic Commerce plan from Squarespace is the one to choose.
If you want all of Squarespace’s eCommerce features, plus the ability to sell subscriptions and integrate with external API’s like warehouse or fulfillment software, Squarespace’s Advanced Commerce plan is the plan for you.
You see a full rundown of Elementor’s pricing plans here: Squarespace Pricing – All Pricing Plans.
You can try Squarespaces free trial here.
Elementor and Squarespace both offer very affordable pricing options and again the best choice comes down to whether you want to build on WordPress or use an all-in-one platform for your site.
If you want to compare pricing, Elementor Pro is cheaper from $49 to $199 per year. However Elementor Pro is only a WordPress plugin, you will still need to pay for web hosting and email.
When you add web hosting and email costs, the prices almost even out (especially if you choose managed WordPress hosting).
So, if you want your site on WordPress and you are familiar with web hosting, domains and email, choose Elementor Pro.
If you are not familiar with WordPress or you just want an all-in-one website platform (hosting, domain and email) choose Squarespace.
10. Summary: Elementor Pro vs Squarespace
Elementor Pro is best for you if:
- You want to build your site using WordPress
- You’re familiar with domain names, web hosting and business email setup.
- You want the most flexibility and customization options available
- You want access to thousands of WordPress plugins
Squarespace is best for you if:
- You want to use an all-in-one website building platform (
- You’re not familiar with setting up domain names, web hosting and a business email.
- You want a more simple and easy way to start your website
- You want to build an online store
You cannot go wrong with either website builder, which one to choose will depend on whether you want to use WordPress or not.
I hope you found this comparison helpful with making a decision on which website builder to use.
If you found this guide helpful, feel free to share this guide with anyone who would find it useful.
Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter below (if you haven’t already) so you can get free business resources, plus more tutorials and guides sent straight to your inbox.